October 25, 2008
Santa Monica, think “the pier”, think beach, beautiful and hip Californians with dogs, on bikes, shorts and flipflops, healthy foods; then visit the local coop! Co-opportunity has been providing natural and organic foods to Santa Monica and the surrounding area since 1974. They have one of the largest, freshest selections of certified organic produce, & a wide variety of products & foods. Beautiful, everyone benefits.
October 24, 2008
Watch for this seal on your personal care products! According to Nutrition Business Journal, the organic beauty and personal care industry has been at 15% for the past 15 years. At the end of 2007, US sales of organic personal care products approached $9 billion, 15% of the personal care market.
As more and more products claim to be ‘organic’, the potential for consumer confusion also rises. This is compounded by the existence of disparate regulatory seals in the marketplace.
OASIS is an industry consensus standard, the result of a deeply committed group of people – suppliers, manufacturers, distributors, etc. – working to set standards and clarity in the dynamic and fast-growing field of organic beauty and personal care products. Its members range from large, global brands and private label manufactures to smaller, specialty brands and raw ingredient suppliers.
The standards are high and will get higher over time! At present there are 2 standards; one is called organic and is anything with 85% until January 2010, when it moves to 90%, then 95% in 2012. The second standard is made with organic and will have to have at least 70% with special criteria for the other 30%.
OASIS is a nonprofit mutual benefit organization, aka, a Trade Association. The by-laws require that the members participate, vote and direct the goals of the group. This means that you can become a member, participate in the member forum,have your voice be heard and your vote counted! You can be a member from$100, there are also levels of membership for companies scaled to the size of the company.
October 22, 2008
October 21, 2008
My son, Jonah, is an actor and acrobat, trapeze artist and was a member of the Streb company for several years. Looking back it’s not necessarily the kind of thing a mother would encourage – fearless leaps into space, death-defying moves, slamming into walls. At home we would fondly refer to the work as Cirque de Soleil meets Evil Knievel. Yet the envelope-pushing, Elizabeth Streb shows us the exciting beauty and surprising possibility of the human body in action through the works she co-creates with her dancer-athletes. The teamwork, heartwork, care and purpose involved is extraordinary. Watch a video of some clips from the past few years. See Wild Blue Yonder and observe the “age-old human dream to stretch the body into space and to venture into unknown territory where gravity just might lapse”. Jonah is in there somewhere! Check out the adult and kids classes and performance schedule at their space on North 1st St in Brooklyn. Jonah is now the staff trainer for the Espana Streb Trapeze Academy in the Streb space.
October 20, 2008
I made this recipe with and for my kids when they were little. Do you remember the smell and taste of store bought playdough? This will bring back memories… and if there is enough salt, kids won’t eat it. Making playdough is the only use I had for food coloring!
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tarter
2 cups of water
1 tablespoons oil
Mix all ingredients in pan. Stir over medium heat until it forms a ball, it will get stiff, keep going as long as you can and then let cool enough to knead to playdough consistency. Store in zip-lock bags. Use often, make often! There are many recipes-you can try a few of the many recipes featured at Naturemoms– like peanut butter playdough
October 19, 2008
Check out this traffic video video and though it speaks for itself, let me speak for it as well: Why are we in such a rush when we drive in traffic? Why do we need to “close the gap”? Why do we not let others in front of us? Do you know how it actually slows down the flow when you sneak ahead when merging? The time saved is negligible, so the question becomes whether or not we can relax and create more flow when congestion is visible ahead of us. This guy has a workable, and zenlike, solution. Consciously driving with as little braking as possible can also facilitate the traffic behind you- because when you brake, so do the 3-4 cars behind you! Changing lanes without causing the person behind you to brake is also something to think about. You can read insightful comments about this video and Trafficwaves.org is a site with great visuals for understanding the flow and waves of traffic patterns. Hat tip to Steve Cooperman!
Via: Meta Cafe